GENESEE COUNTY — Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan is extending the hours of its 11 walk-in centers statewide to provide customers with an additional way to get help with confirming their new health plan enrollment and premium amounts, making payments and related customer service questions.
The extended hours run through Jan. 31, when centers will be open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m., and in most locations, the centers also will be open Saturday from 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. (NOTE: Saturday hours will not apply in Ann Arbor, Flint-Linden Creek and Marquette centers.)
BCBSM also extended the premium payment deadline to Jan. 31 for coverage that became effective to Jan. 1 for members in its individual plans.
“We’ve extended the payment deadline because healthcare.gov allowed individuals to enroll later in December so timeframes to make a payment was shorter than usual for many people, especially with the holidays. Members who live near a walk-in center may find it more convenient and easier to meet with someone face-to-face to make sure they are paid-up and confirm their coverage,” said Terry Burke, vice president of individual business for BCBSM.
At each walk-in center, members can pay their first month’s bill for individual plans that became effective Jan. 1, for which Blue Cross has extended the payment deadline to Jan. 31. Additionally, consumers interested in enrolling in an ACA plan can talk directly with a health plan advisor or licensed Blue Cross agent, to determine the best plan for their specific situation, and ensure that each form is completed correctly to take advantage of any available federal assistance.
Consumers can sign up by Jan. 15 to obtain a plan with coverage effective Feb. 1. The deadline to sign up for an ACA compliant plan without tax penalty for 2013 is March 31.
The customer service team, health plan advisors and licensed Blue Cross agents are available at the following 11 BCBSM walkin centers:
• Ann Arbor: 2311 Green Rd; Ann Arbor, MI 48105*
• BCBSM Detroit headquarters (Bricktown building): 500 E. Lafayette, Detroit, MI 48226
• BCBSM Grand Rapids headquarters: 86 Monroe Center NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
• Flint: 4520 Linden Creek Parkway Suite A, Flint, MI 48507*
• Holland: 151 Central Ave., Holland, MI 49423
• Lansing: 232 S. Capitol Ave, Lansing, MI 48933
• Marquette: 415 S. McClellan Ave, Marquette, MI 49855*
• Portage: 8175 Creekside Dr., suite 100, Portage, MI 49024
• BCN Southfield: 20500 Civic Center Drive, Southfield, MI 48076
• Shelby Twp.: 6100 Auburn Road, Shelby Twp., MI 48317
• Traverse City: 202 E. State Street, Traverse City, MI 49684
Members also have the option to pay their premiums online at bcbsm.com if they cannot visit a walk-in center or make the payment by phone.
To learn the basics of health reform, Michiganders can visit HealthCareReformBasics.com. — G.G.