FLINT — Mott Community College (MCC) will host “Our Water! Our Health! Our Future!” a water-focused summit June 11, from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. in conjunction with the Concerned Pastors. The event will be in the MCC Event Center, 1401 E. Court St.
“The residents of Flint need and deserve answers” said Juanita Crump senior pastor at Five Fold Ministry Christian Center in Flushing. The water summit is one of many action projects designed to help Flint residents mitigate the effects of the water crisis. The event is free and open to the public. Residents can get answers to their questions and speak with experts in their fields on health and nutrition, and talk with folks offering additional resources and how best to access the many resources flowing into the community from all over the United States.
Pastor Crump has been on the forefront of engaged citizens helping with the Flint Water Crisis, creating a Go Fund me account for whole water filtration systems for residents affected by the water crisis. She joins the Concerned Pastors during the water summit to deliver research based facts and trusted resources for Flint residents to answer these questions:
• What are we to do when our children have been poisoned by lead?
• Where can we go for help?
• What resources are available to us?
• What is being done about this water crisis?
• Are we prone for legionnaire disease because of the water?
• What is causing the skin problems and what can we do about it?
• Are filters really safe?
• What about the other contaminants found in the water? Are they harmful?
The event will begin at 9 a.m., with a continental breakfast and will follow with a succession of speakers from various community-based programs, including:
• Sheryl Thompson, Deputy Director, Field Mission Flint Team, Department of Health and Human Services
• Dan Peck, CEO of Flowater, Inc., Denver Colo.
• Kent D. Key, Ph.D, Clinical Research Associate, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
• Gary Jones, Constituency Service Representative for Dan Kildee, 5th District, Michigan U.S House of Representative and others.
There is no RSVP or registration required. Seating is limited, first come, first served.
Details: Call 810-695-0563, or (cell) 810-845-1118. — G.G.