FLINT TWP. — The new year got off to a busy start for the township fire department.
Township firefighters responded to 40 alarms since late December, said Fire Chief Thomas Stadler.
Most recently, the department had calls on Jan. 2 for two fires happening almost at the same time.
One was a residential structure fire at 2100 Bernice Avenue and the second was a commercial structure fire at the Super 8 Motel, 3033 Clause Avenue.
The alarm time for Bernice was 6;44 a.m. and the call from the Super 8 came in at 6:52 a.m., Stadler said.
The home on Bernice sustained extensive fire damage. The resident injured her back while evacuating, Stadler said. The fire was caused by combustibles left to close to a space heater. Township firefighters received assistance from the Grand Blanc, Mundy Twp., and Swartz Creek fire departments.
One room was damaged in the Super 8 fire, caused by an overloaded extension cord, Stadler said. There were no injuries. Township firefighters were assisted by the City of Flint, Mt. Morris Twp. fire departments and Flint Township Police. A third fire on January 5 occurred at first station No. Three, 2511 Bristol Road. It was caused by a faulty generator control panel and extinguished by a firefighter on site, Stadler said.