CLAYTON TWP. — When an ordinary day suddenly delivered a dangerous and disastrous blow, a Clayton Township woman sprang to action to get her three small children and two dogs to safety.
The woman was cooking dinner for her family around 6 p.m. Wednesday, July 29, when she detected the odor of smoke.
Upon investigating, she discovered flames consuming the garage attached to the two-story home in the 7000 block of Deer Creek Trail. County records show Jonathan and Casey Wilson own the home.
“She got the kids out and called 911,” said Swartz Creek Area Fire Department Chief Dave Plumb. “Fire truck was there in seven minutes from dispatch.”
Firefighters were able to knock down the fire before it spread into the home, but the garage and a van that was parked in the driveway were heavily damaged, and the house sustained smoke and water damage, Plumb said.
Crews from the Flushing and Gaines Township fire departments assisted on scene.
Plumb said a preliminary investigation indicated an electrical issue was responsible for the blaze. The homeowners’ insurance company continues to investigate.
“That’s what they believe, as well,” Plumb said.
He estimated the value of the damage at $75,000.
According to information posted on a gofundme account at www.gofundme.com/f/23bywkma9c, the family will be displaced for six to nine months while repairs are underway.