Firebirds take two of three; Cavallin gets first win

WINDSOR, Ont. – The Flint Firebirds seem to be getting back on the right track after taking two wins in a three-game weekend stand, including a 4-3 overtime win at the Windsor Spitfires. It was the first Ontario Hockey League victory in the young career of goaltender Luke Cavallin. Cavallin recorded 30 saves on the night.

Windsor struck very early with William Sirman’s goal just 1:17 into the game, but the Firebirds bounced back when Connor Roberts’ fifth goal of the season tied the game after one period of play and then Maurizio Colella gave Flint the lead in the middle Stanza.

As the final minute of the second period was ticking down, Aaron Luchuk evened things back up with a Windsor goal. Jake Durham put Flint back on top in the early moments of the third, which held up until the final minute of the game when Jake Smith tied it back up, forcing overtime.

The extra period lasted just 28 seconds when Jalen Smereck’s blast clinched the win for Flint.

Saturday’s home game against the Niagara IceDogs wasn’t the result Flint was looking for in a 6-4 loss. The first period was wellfought, as Niagara took an early lead thanks to Danial Singer, but the Firebirds answered with a CJ Clarke goal.

The second period, however, was a nightmare frame for Flint as it surrendered five goals. Bradey Johnson scored twice and with one apiece in the frame were Matthew Philip, Akil Thomas and Singer.

The third period would be all Firebirds, but it wasn’t enough to overcome the massive deficit. Nicolas Mattinen scored twice and Jack Wismer once to make the final score a bit closer.

Friday’s game was one of great momentum swings, as the Firebirds topped the Hamilton Bulldogs at home in overtime, 4-3. Flint dominated the first period when Kyle Harris buried two and Roberts added one for a 3-0 lead.

The second period, though, changed everything. This time it was Hamilton’s turn, as Marlan Studenic scored before former Firebirds Will Bitten and Ryan Moore each added one to knot the game up. The third period would go scoreless, which led to Hunter Holmes’ overtime winner.

The Firebirds remain in fifth place in the West Division at 9-17-2-0 for 20 points. Flint travels to Kitchener on Friday and Owen Sound on Saturday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *