Flint Twp. man charged with home invasion

FLINT TWP. — A 24-yearold Flint Township man has been charged with one count of first-degree home invasion in connection with a Flushing incident.

Tyler E. Monroe was arraigned on the felony, which is punishable by up to 20 years in prison, last week in Genesee District Court.

Monroe is charged with allegedly entering an apartment home in the 400 block of Somerset Dive through an unlocked door and stealing items that included electronic games, cell phones, a guitar case and change. The incident occurred between late Sept. 23 and 6 a.m. Sept.24 while a family of four was in the home. No one was injured.

Police Believe Monroe went through the neighborhood at Somerset Apartments trying doors until he found one that was unlocked. They said video surveillance captured him carrying some of the stolen items, which he hid in a family member’s residence across the street, where he had been staying.

The suspect then walked to a nearby Kroger store, where police believe he may have used a Coinstar machine to cash in the stolen change. Surveillance video from the store showed him leaving in a truck. A Flushing police officer saw the truck parked in neighborhood in Mount Morris Township. The suspect wasn’t in the truck at the time, but he was arrested Sept. 25 after further investigation.

Most of the stolen items were recovered, with the exception of the change. Monroe is being held in the Genesee County Jail on a $50,000 cash or surety bond. He was due back in court Oct. 24 for a probable cause conference.

According to court records, Monroe was charged in July 2018 with first-degree home invasion in connection with an incident in Burton. He later pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of second-degree home invasion, for which he served 81 days in jail, was sentenced to 18 months probation beginning Oct. 1, 2018, and ordered to wear a tether for six months. He also was charged in March of this year with third-degree retail fraud, which occurred Feb. 11, 2019, in Flint Township. He served 44 days in the Genesee County Jail.