Health Source repaving gets tentative green light




FLINT TWP. — At its July 6 meeting, the township board revisited the issue of a cost increase to repave Health Source Boulevard — ultimately approving it 3-2, with contingencies.

Plans to repave the badly rutted public road surfaced two years ago, but were pushed back. In the interim, cost rose from $92,236 in mid-2013 to $161,000 in October 2014.

A revised cost estimate this spring came in even higher at $192,336 — a $52,000 increase.

Under terms of an agreement signed last year, the Genesee County Road Commission would pay 27 percent of the cost and bill the township for the remaining 73 percent. In turn, the township has a rider agreement with Patsy Lou Williamson dealership and Health Plus to each pick up 20 percent of the cost over a two-year period.

Health Source Blvd. is a connector road between Corunna and Linden Road that is primarily used to access those two businesses though motorists also use it as a cut through.

When repaving estimates came in higher than expected, board members balked at paying more money without first confirming that the affected businesses were willing to pay more as well.

Township Supervisor Karyn Miller was asked to consult with the business owners and bring back to the board approved amounts that all involved would pay.

Miller brought the issue back to the table this week without consulting the businesses. She argued that if the township board refused to pay its share of the higher cost, it would be a moot point.

Board members renewed arguments that the businesses needed to be included in the cost increase.

Township Trustee Frank Kasle made a motion to approve the project, contingent on the affected businesses each agreeing to pay 20 percent of the revised costs. The motion passed 3 to 2. Township treasurer Marsha Binelli and township trustee Barb Vert were absent.

Miller, who cast one of the two no votes, said that the Patsy Lou Williamson is one of the township’s biggest taxpayers and she did not want to ask them for more money to repair a public road.

Trustee George Menoutes said he personally spoke with Don Williamson, co-owner of the dealership, who indicated he might be willing to pay as much as 30 percent of costs to get the road fixed.

Menoutes said he also received a favorable response from a HealthPlus representative.

“If you made the effort to talk to them, maybe we can lower the township’s part (of costs),” he said. “All you have to do is ask.”

Trustee Belenda Parker, who cast the second no vote, said she has been against the project from the outset. “That road is not used enough by residents to spend this kind of money,’’ she said.

Even with the two businesses each paying 20 percent of costs, the township’s share could be at least $40,000, which would be paid out of the general fund because no more road millage funds are available.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *