FLINT — Norwood Jewell, director, and Steve Dawes, assistant director of the UAW Region 1C, recently presented a check for $2,500 to the American GI Forum of Flint/Hispanic Technology and Community Center.
The funds will be used to help improve facilities and further expand offerings of the American GI Forum of Flint/Hispanic Technology and Community Center, a community based organization providing programs and services that meet the needs of Flint’s most underserved neighborhoods. Domingo Berlanga, commander of the American GI Forum of Flint and Nadja Roivas, national organizer for the International Union UAW, both board members for the Center, were responsible for securing the donation.
The Center is a 501c3 nonprofit organization which partnered with Mott Community College to open the former Citizens Bank Branch in 2002. The center has continually expanded to meet the needs of the community by offering:
• GED instruction through Mott Community College’s Workforce Development Department
• Free income tax preparation to low- to moderate-income families using IRS software
• Free internet access with 15 computers in operation
• English as a second language and Spanish as a second language classes offered weekly
• Translation/interpretation services along with Notary Public services on site.
The American GI Forum of Flint/Hispanic Technology and Community Center is located at 2101 Lewis St. in Flint. For more information, please visit www.htcc.us or call 810-424- 3760. — G.G.