Free income tax service kicks off
GENESEE COUNTY – The Genesee County Tax Assistance & Financial Services Coalition has announced that the 2018 Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program has begun assisting residents by providing free income tax preparation for working families with low to moderate incomes along with free electronic filing through April 15. There are various locations, days, and hours, to fit different schedules. Six service sites are offered. Most of the VITA locations provide service by walk-in only. The tax site schedule can be found by visiting www.unitedwaygenesee.or-g/free-professional-tax-help The Coalition has been serving residents of Genesee County since 2003.—R.S.
Wade Trim recognized for KWA engineering
LANSING – The American Council of Engineering Companies of Michigan (ACEC/M) recently honored firms for engineering and surveying excellence during the association’s annual Engineering and
Surveying Excellence Awards ceremony.
On March 10, design professionals and guests gathered at DeVos Place, Grand Rapids, to recognize outstanding Michigan engineering and surveying projects from the past year, as well as engineering professionals who have significantly contributed to the profession.
The ACEC/M Awards Program recognizes outstanding efforts of professional design firms to solve clients’ needs through exceptional projects, and offers the opportunity to showcase the year’s best engineering and surveying achievements to an audience of peers, clients and decision makers at all levels.
“The knowledge and expertise that filled the room on Saturday was astounding! The projects engineered by private sector firms have a profound effect on the quality of life for all Michigan residents. Their efforts result in quality roads and bridges, safe drinking water, and a clean environment for people to live, work and play,” said Ronald Brenke, PE, ACEC/M Executive Director.
Six firms were honored with an Engineering Honorable Conceptor Award:
• HDR (Ann Arbor) for its work on the Holland Energy Park.
• Harley Ellis Devereaux (Southfield) for its work on the Children’s Hospital of Michigan Troy.
• Wade Trim (Detroit) for its work on the Great Lakes Water Authority Biosolids Dryer Facility in
• Fishbeck, Thompson, Carr & Huber, Inc. (Grand Rapids) for its work on the St. Louis Water
• OHM Advisors (Midland) for its work on Midland County Road Commission’s GRS-IBS Program.
• Alfred Benesch & Company (East Lansing) for its work on the I-96 & Cascade Road Diverging
Diamond Interchange in Grand Rapids.
Engineering Merit Awards were presented to the following:
• Anderson, Eckstein and Westrick, Inc. (Shelby Township) for its work on the 15 Mile Road
Interceptor Recovery Shaft in Fraser.
• Progressive AE (Grand Rapids) for its work on The Rapid CNG Fueling Station in Grand Rapids.
• Hubbell, Roth & Clark, Inc. (Bloomfield Hills) for its work on the Engineering Our Environment project for Clinton and Harrison Townships.
• Wade Trim (Flint) for its work with the Karegnondi Water Authority on their Water Supply
Program Management in Genesee, Lapeer, St. Clair and Sanilac Counties. – G.G.