In brief

Yard waste pickup begins April 2

FLINT TWP. — Flint Township Supervisor Karyn Miller said yard waste compost pickup on Thursdays will begin April 2. — G.G.

Easter Egg hunt postponed

FLINT TWP. — The 3rd Annual Easter Egg Hunt, sponsored by the Flint Township Economic Development Authority, originally scheduled for March 28 at 10 a.m., has been postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak. The event is expected to be rescheduled in the near future.

Details: Call Carol Pfaff-Dahl at 810-252-2049. — G.G.

Frost Law Weight Restriction Update

GENESEE COUNTY — Effective today (March 19) at 6 a.m, the Genesee County Road Commission will lift Seasonal Weight and Speed Restrictions on all county roads within Genesee County. These restrictions have been in force since Feb. 24.

Details: Visit Business/Seasonal-Weight-Restriction or refer to the Truck Operator’s map on our website or contact us at 810-767- 4920. — G.G.

Statement from the Michigan Supreme Court on Matters Concerning Children:

LANSING — With schools closed and courthouses limiting operations to reduce exposure to COVID-19, parents who live apart might be confused about changing family situations and their court orders.

The Supreme Court wants to remind parents that all court orders for a child’s custody, parenting time and support are still in force. Only a new court order can change that. Parents should continue to follow their court order.

If future government decisions restrict travel or, if a child’s safety is an issue, parents should work together to keep the child’s access to both parents as close to the normal arrangement as possible.

Remember that children might also be nervous about current events and need reassurance from parents. If it is necessary to share parental responsibilities in ways different than the court order provides, parents should cooperate with each other to further the child’s best interests. If parents are not able to agree between themselves how to do this, their court order continues to control what they should do.

Child support payment processing is expected to continue. However, if a person changes jobs or a court order changes, there may be a delay in updating automatic payment withholding from a paycheck. If a parent has child support obligations and money is not automatically withheld from his or her pay, the parent should be sure to make the payment through the State Disbursement Unit. Parents can also make payments through PayNearMe at CVS Pharmacy, 7-Eleven, Family Dollar, and Casey’s General Store.

Parents are encouraged to sign up for MiChildSupport to see their child support case online at login.html?execution=e1s1. — G.G.