Meet three Michigan authors at Barnes & Noble
FLINT TWP. — Michigan authors Wally Miars, Daniel Apperson and Victor Lacca will be featured at a book signing event, 2-4 p.m. May 3 at Barnes & Noble bookstore, Genesee Valley Center shopping mall. Miars, of Charlotte, wrote “Alone Together,” about insights gained from his Great American Adventures hike through the world-famous Appalachian Trail. Apperson, of Bridgeport, wrote “The God Element,’’ about his quest from an early age to discover more about where he came from and how to earn your way into Heaven. Lacca, of Brighton, wrote “Heyden Hushbunny and the Great Jellybean Caper,’’ a fun caper following a private investigator as he solves a mystery. — R.S.
Big clean up day Saturday
FLINT TWP. — Two groups will be out working on beautification and clean-up projects on Saturday. The Flint Township Gateway Corridor Beautification Project will focus on picking up trash along freeway ramps. The group will meet at 9 a.m. at Comfort Inn on Austins Parkway. Lunch will be provided. Also, Gleaner, Greater Flint Area Arbor will hold its sixth annual Join Hands Day to clean up the Township Park on Norko Drive. They will plant flowers, wood chip trails, spread mulch and remove invasive species. Lunch will be provided. The public is welcome to join either crew from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. — R.S.
Township groups among volunteers feted at event
GENESEE COUNTY — Catholic Charities held its 2014 Volunteer Awards on Wednesday, honoring hundreds of dedicated of volunteers. Ten awards presented were:
• Volunteer of the Year Award to Sister Mary Norman and Kathy Kuczera, longtime volunteers at both the Holy Angels Soup Kitchen and Community Closet.
• Hands of Hope Award to Connie Ellavich of Flushing and Lee Ann King of Swartz Creek, for service to the Holy Angels Community Closet.
• Business of the Year Award to Fenton Deli for providing fresh produce to soup kitchens.
• Golden Soup Bowl Award to the Berent Group for their dedication to the North End Soup Kitchen.
• Wings of Hope Award to members of the GM Team Cares.
• Faith in Action Award to Holy Redeemer Church in Burton
• Youth in Action Award to St. George Teen Society of Orthodox Youth Organization of Flint Township.
• Tomorrow’s Hope Award to the Luke M. Powers High School Rotary Interact Club.
• Family in Action Award to the Gatica Family of Genesee County
• Special Recognition Award to Bristol United Methodist Church in Flint Township.
Last year more than 16,600 Catholic Charities volunteers donated in excess of 60,000 hours of service. — R.S.