McLaren offering heart health, cholesterol and blood pressure help
— McLaren’s Nutrition Counseling Program is now offering “Heart Health-Controlling Your Cholesterol and Blood Pressure.” Have you been told that your cholesterol or blood pressure is high? Do you have a family history of heart disease? Do you want to learn how to prevent heart disease and be healthier? If you can answer ‘yes’ to any of these questions this class can help. Meal planning tips and recipes will be provided.
This class is being offered, from 10 a.m. to Noon, on the following Fridays: Oct. 8, Nov. 12 and Dec. 10 at the McLaren Diabetes Education Program Dept., located at 3200 Beecher Rd in the Beech Hill Center building. The class fee is $30 and registration is required.
To register for one of the upcoming classes, or for questions, please contact McLaren’s Diabetes Education Program at 810-342-4110. — G.G.
HealthPlus Children’s Health and Safety Day
— How can parents and their children get some valuable safety tips and have some fun at the same time? By attending the HealthPlus Children’s Health and Safety Day taking place from 10 a.m. -2 p.m., Sept. 25 at the HealthPlus headquarters building located at 2050 S. Linden Road in Flint Township (at the corner of Linden and Corunna roads).
This year’s event will feature the following:
• Bike rodeo for kids — teaches children how to ride a bike safely — kids can bring their own bike or borrow one at the event!
• Bike helmet giveaway (while supplies last)
• Smoke detector giveaway (for first 100 families)
• Free car seat inspections – approximately 96 percent are installed incorrectly!
• Prescription drug drop-off site (drop off expired or unused medications)
• Flint Township Fire Department, Police Department and EMS vehicles
• Drop-off recycling (newspapers, magazines, plastic, cardboard, boxboard)
• Free gift bags (while supplies last) • Bounce House • Free healthy snacks • Face painting • Balloon animals
• Story time for children
Parents are encouraged to spend an hour or two with other families at the HealthPlus Children’s Health and Safety Day, where adults and kids can learn about safety in a fun way. — G.G.