FLINT — Mott Community College (MCC) honors its outstanding academic achievers for 2021.
The Honors College Diploma is awarded to students who have completed a minimum of four honors sections including the Honors Colloquium, have completed all the criteria for an associate’s degree and are graduating with a 3.5 or better GPA. Students who will receive the Honors College Diploma at commencement are:
Jazlynne Cathey, of Grand Blanc
Olivia Gark, of Swartz Creek
Morgan Gilkes, of Burton
Rebekah Harmon, of Flushing
Carolann Lessnau, of Flushing
Amiria Rouamba, of Burton
Nikkita Salyers, of Davison
Jordan Taylor, of Grand Blanc
Bailey Thompson, of Flushing
Sierra Wiencek, of Goodrich
Additionally, College divisions recognize students for academic performance. These awards are given at separate recognition ceremonies within the division or department and include:
The Fine Arts & Social Sciences Division Awards are given annually to students in Fine Arts & Social Sciences disciplines, community members and outstanding faculty. Student awards criteria require the recipient to be a graduating sophomore, have at least a 3.0 overall GPA, they must have completed two or more classes within the discipline and have earned a 3.5 GPA in each of those classes. The 2021 awards and recipients are:
• The Meredith Mead Memorial Award in Early Childhood Education is given to Brunette Takin, of Burton.
• The Media Arts & Entertainments Outstanding Student Award is given to Nicholas Morisette, of Davison.
• The Outstanding Music Freshman Year Student is Kira Mailey-Parker, of Davison.
• The Outstanding Music Sophomore Year Student award is given to Darren Maschino, of Flint and Eric “Will” Blake, Jr., of Swartz Creek.
The Technology Division Awards are given annually to students enrolled in one of the technology-related occupational degree programs at MCC who exhibit outstanding effort and professionalism in their field of study. This year’s recipients are:
• Automotive Technology
Outstanding Graduate – Kristen Shannon, of Davison
• CAD and Design Technology
ASBE Outstanding Design Student Recognition Scholarship – Scott Marx, of Grand Blanc
• Electronics and Electrical Technology
Outstanding Graduate in Electronics and Electrical Technology – Ghassan Chaar, of Grand Blanc
The STEM Scholars Program will graduate 12 scholars. MCC’s STEM Scholars Program is for academically talented students interested in a STEM related field and who plan to attend college full-time completing an Associate in Science degree. They must maintain a 3.0 GPA. This year’s STEM Scholars are:
Steven Brown, of Grand Blanc, Computer Science
Jazlynne Cathey, of Grand Blanch, Bio-Chemistry
Jessica DeGuise, of Goodrich, Biology
Morgan King, of Grand Blanc, Biology
Brooke Read, of Flushing, Biology
Tyler Swaisgood, of Davison, Biology
Service Learning Awards:
Among the students recognized this year for “Leadership in Sustaining Community Partnerships” during the pandemic were:
• Noel Halberstadt, of Flushing, President of the Dental Hygiene Club, recognized for helping to sustain the campus partnership with the Lenore Croudy Family Life Center at MCC through the Ellen’s Closet Project.
• Kathleen Mellinger, Swartz Creek, Social Work Intern, recognized for helping to sustain the campus partnership with the Lenore Croudy Family Life Center through the Mott Eats Food Pantry, and for launching the pilot Campus Peer Advocate Program, Connect 2 Complete.
• Lawrence Phillips, of Grand Blanc, Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society Vice President of Service and Fundraising, recognized for his work sustaining the MCC Partnership with Carriage Town Ministries in Flint through a Service Saturday Project. — G.G.