LANSING — The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, in partnership with the Michigan High School Athletic Association, Michigan’s schools, and Michigan’s local health departments, has announced a limited pilot program for high school student-athletes to complete their Fall 2020 postseason tournaments and championships by adhering to strict COVID-19 safety protocols.
As a volunteer (student-athlete, coach, trainer) in this pilot testing program a participant must understand:
• Participation in the practices and competitions over the course of this pilot testing program is voluntary.
• Each participant will receive a COVID-19 test (rapid test) at least three times per week on non-consecutive days, and must receive negative test results in order to practice or compete.
• If a participant receives a positive test, they cannot return to practice or competition unless they receive a negative molecular, polymerase chain reaction (“PCR”) test within 48 hours of the rapid test results and continue to have no symptoms.
• If a participant exhibits any symptoms of COVID-19, they will self-isolate and not attend practice or competition, regardless of any negative test result.
• If a participant tests positive for COVID-19, show symptoms, or am exposed to a close contact to someone who tests positive, they will cooperate with local and state public health officials in the case investigation and contact tracing process.
• Inside and outside of practice and competition, participants will follow all state and local health orders that apply in their area, including wearing a face mask when around others, limitations on gatherings outside my immediate household, including non-team gatherings and social gatherings with team outside of practice or competition
Failure to follow the stipulations above would result in the removal from competition and practices, and may result in disqualification of the entire team as determined by the MHSAA and/or MDHHS.
Student athletes must have a Consent Form and Code of Conduct Form signed and turned into their coach or Athletic Director before they can begin testing program.
Those forms have been sent home with student athletes. Details: Visit www.mhsaa.com/Schools/Health-Safety-Resources and click on “MDHHS PILOT PROGRAM.”