OREGON TWP. — The Michigan Agriculture Council calls Michigan blueberries “Mighty Blues.” Did you Michigan leads the nation in growing blueberries? Blueberries are full of flavor and antioxidants, blueberries offer a variety of health benefits.
Anthocyanin, compounds that gives blueberries their color, have been proven to fight free radicals which can cause cancer. Anthocyanin also may play a role in reducing the risk of heart disease and mental decline. In addition to anthocyanin blueberries also contain powerful antioxidants such as: quercetin, kaempferol, myricetin and chlorogenic acid, which researcher have shown to have several health benefits. Just one cup of blueberries provides 84 calories and 3.6 grams of fiber.
Incorporate blueberries into your diet by using them as a pancake topping, adding a handful to your bowl of cereal, tossing a few into a salad, or bake into muffins like the recipe below.
Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
• 1 2/3 cups quick-cooking oats
• 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
• 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
• 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 1/2 cup low-fat butter milk
• 1/4 cup canola oil
• 2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
• 2 large eggs
• 2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• cooking spray
• 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
• Preheat oven to 400 F.
• Place oats in a food processor; pulse 5 to 6 times or until oats resemble coarse meal. Place in a large bowl.
• Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add flours and next 5 ingredients (through salt) to oats; stir well. Make a well in center of mixture.
• Combine buttermilk and next 3 ingredients (through eggs). Add to flour mixture; stir just until moist.
• Toss berries with 2 tablespoons flour, and gently fold into batter. • Spoon batter into 16 muffin cups coated with cooking spray; sprinkle 2 tablespoons granulated sugar evenly over batter. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove from pans immediately; place on a wire rack.