GENESEE COUNTY – The Greater Flint Area Sports Hall of Fame (GFASHOF) is seeking nominations for its next class of inductees.
Roger Foutch, 2008 inductee and board member of the GFASHOF said that nomination is the first step to induction.
“To be included into the GFASHOF the first thing that must happen is to be nominated,” Foutch said. “No matter how significant the accomplishments of an individual or team may be, a nomination is necessary in order for that person or team to be considered.”
The GFASHOF was started in 1980 by the Bruin Club of Mott Community College to “provide a vehicle to recognize and celebrate the history of athletic achievement of the Flint area.”
This year will mark the 39th annual induction of the area’s best of the best athletes, coaches and those serving athletics. A few notables on the long, long list of inductees includes:
• Jon Runyan, a Class A state shot putter from Carman-Ainsworth. He played football for the University of Michigan and played in the NFL for 14 years. He retired in 2012 and was elected to Congress representing New Jersey’s third district in 2012.
• Davison grad Tim Thomas, Boston Bruins goalie who helped his team win the 2011 Stanley Cup. Thomas also won the Vezina Award and Conn Smythe trophy that year. He was also a twotime All-American at the University of Vermont.
• Ken Domerese, Carman-Ainsworth track coach, who has coached for 40 years.
• Roy Hall, Davison High varsity wrestling coach
• Flint-area boxer Andre Weathers
• The late Bob Perani
• Mateen Cleaves, Morris Peterson and Andre Rison
• Lisa Negri-Davis, Flint Powers basketball standout and Miss Basketballstate
• Bendle’s 1991 girls Class C state basketball team
• Beecher’s 1985 boys Class B state basketball team
• Flint Northern’s 1994 and 1995 girls’ basketball team.
Foutch stressed that people often take for granted that a person’s/team’s credentials are so well known that induction should be automatic. All members of the hall of the fame had to be nominated.
There are currently five categories and five forms to complete the nomination process: Living, Deceased, Distinguished Service Living, Distinguished Service Deceased and Teams. Forms are available on the GFASHOF web site, www.GFASHOF, at the registration desk at the Genesys Fitness Center, or by contacting Executive Secretary Bob Root at 869- 5179.
Foutch said that all forms are one page in length and must be completed as thoroughly as possible. Currently there are more than 200 forms on file that have to be reviewed each year. Numerous committees are constantly reviewing the nominations and the forms are never eliminated or destroyed according to Foutch. Forms are due on or before April 1 of each calendar year.