10 YEARS AGO
Aug. 26, 2010
Cloudy skies Tuesday couldn’t keep people away from the Back to School Blast. In fact, many people who have attended previous Blasts over the past four years said they thought this year was the biggest turnout yet. And for some attending the event for the first time, the number of people flocking into Cardinal Stadium for the annual kick-off for the upcoming school year was almost overwhelming.
Work is underway to build a new storage facility for the Davison-Richfield Area Fire Department next door to the Richfield Township Hall, 5381 N. State Rd., The $150,000 structure will be used to house fire department equipment, including the new Safety House trainer the department received through grant money last month.
25 YEARS AGO
Aug. 23, 1995
Check the clock carefully when waking the kids up for school this fall. A state-mandated increase in the number of instructional hours has caused Davison Community Schools to expand the length of the school day for elementary students. In addition, middle and high school schedules – while not being expanded – have been slightly altered. The number of days in school (180) is still the same, at least until 1999. But the number of hours students are in class has been increased from 900 to 990 for the 1995-96 school year.
The Davison High School Varsity pom-pon squad went to the Mid-American Pom-pon Camp at Grand Valley State University in Grand Rapids, July 26-29. The squad had to learn one or two routines each day, then perform one at the nightly evaluation. Each night the Cardinal squad earned a first place ribbon, and on Saturday they received first place for their original routine which they took to camp. At the end of the week, the Davison squad received the grand champion trophy.
50 YEARS AGO
Aug. 26, 1970
The Davison Community Schools will open on Sept. 9 for students. Sept. 8 will be a preparation day for all teachers. School for students attending Thomson, Hill, Wolcott, Siple, Gates, Uptegraff and primary and intermediate Special Education rooms at Siple and Wolcott schools.
Davison again has two funeral homes. Leo A. Groves Memorial Chapel, which closed down in January and was then the city’s oldest continuous business firm. Is reopening this week. The new operator is Larry P. Muir of Lapeer, whose grandfather, father and four uncles have had funeral homes since 1910. Larry’s grandfather founded the first one in Lapeer 60 years ago. Three uncles operate one in Almont, another uncle has the Imlay City Mortuary and Larry’s father, Paul, has the original one in Lapeer. The firm will now be known as the Muir Brothers Funeral Home.
100 YEARS AGO
Aug. 20, 1920
The Moss Auto Sales of Flint will open in the garage south of the Davison Mercantile Co.’s store on Saturday, Sept. 4, with a complete outfit of tires, accessories, oil, gas, etc. The new firm will do a regular garage business, and in addition will have a complete, up-to-date vulcanizing outfit, something new in town. The firm will also have an agency for the Maxwell cars and trucks, and the used cars and trucks. — Compiled by Gary Gould from the files of the Davison Index