Second bomb threat at CAHS



FLINT TWP. — On the heels of a countywide bomb-threat to schools on Friday that led to early dismissal, students at Carman-Ainsworth High School were under lockdown most of Monday morning following another bomb threat called in.

Superintendent Bill Haley said the call, believed to be made by a student, came into his office about 9:30 a.m.

Following procedures, the high school went into lockdown from about 9:30-11 a.m. Police were called and staff searched the building for suspicious activity or objects, as part of standard procedure. Everything was back to normal by early afternoon.

“We are working with police to ID the phone number and to confront this,’’ Haley said.

He also said a small monetary award is being offered for information that would help ID the student behind the threatening call.

Friday’s threat differed in that a timeline was given, Haley said. Lockdown procedures were sidelined in deference to getting students home. Early dismissal was announced on the district website beginning at 1:45 p.m. for the high school, 2:30 p.m. for the middle school and 3:30 p.m. for the elementary schools.

The message indicated that shortly before 1:00 p.m., the district received notice from Michigan State Police that a call had been made threatening 5 unidentified schools in the county. In response, dismissal times were moved up.

Haley said it was the first time he can recall in 11 years with the district that multiple buildings were threatened. He said the threat was given a higher level of urgency and credibility because the alert came from the state police by way of the GISD.

Haley said the district tries to avoid evacuation as much as possible because past experiences demonstrate that can lead to a far worse scenario if a perpetrator is trying to get children out of the building.

“We feel the brick walls of the schools building are the safest place,’’ Haley said.

He said he received calls from parents praising staff for the way they handled both situations. Haley added his own praise. “I thought our staff did an excellent job in adapting and showing composure and leadership and giving students a sense of reassurance,’’ he said.

Classes continued during Monday’s lockdown though doors were locked to the office and building, he said. In a higher priority lockdown, teachers would also take additional specified measures to ensure students safety. Every situation is different, he said.

Friday’s threat was determined to be a hoax and was traced to Birch Run.

Flint Township police are following up on tracing the origins of Monday’s call, Haley said, adding they are hoping to nip in the bud the start of more copycat bogus bomb threats.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *