Division 5 — Genesee County Unit (MI) honored
BURTON — The Young Marines youth organization named the Genesee County Unit from Division 5 in Michigan one of six national Units of the Year. Under the command of Eric Shaw, the unit meets in Burton.
The announcement was made at the annual Adult Volunteer Leaders conference held May 18, in Reno, NV.
The five other division honorees are:
• Div. 1 – Blackstone Valley (MA) — meeting location in Milford, MA.
• Div. 2 – Shenandoah Valley (VA) — meeting location in Winchester, VA.
• Div. 3 – Orlando Devil Dogs (FLA) — meeting location Orlando, FLA.
• Div. 4 – Mountain View (CO) — meeting location in Centennial, CO.
• Div. 6 – Southeast County (CA) — meeting location Seal Beach, CA.
The Young Marines organization is divided into six divisions across the United States. Each Young Marine unit is led and guided by adult volunteers, some of whom have had careers in the military.
The Young Marines is a national nonprofit 501c(3) youth education and service program for boys and girls, age eight through the completion of high school. The Young Marines promotes the mental, moral and physical development of its members. The program focuses on teaching the values of leadership, teamwork and self-discipline, so its members can live and promote a healthy, drug-free lifestyle.
Since the Young Marines’ humble beginnings in 1959, with one unit and a handful of boys, the organization has grown to over 300 units with 10,000 youth and 3,000 adult volunteers in 46 states, the District of Columbia, Germany, Japan and affiliates in a host of other countries.
For more information, visit the official website at: www.YoungMarines.com. — G.G.