Two fires cause damage at Sunridge Apartments



FLINT TWP. — The Flint Township Fire Department responded to two fires about half an hour apart Monday at the Sunridge Apartments.

Firefighters were called to 9164 Suncrest Drive at about 5:46 p.m. for a fire caused by grease left unattended on a stove. Two residents of the apartment were able to get out safely. Fire Chief Thomas Stadler said the firstfloor unit was a total loss, and the residents will not be able to return to it.

Three other units on the first floor sustained smoke and water damage. Stadler said the residents of those units were evacuated and power shut off because water was coming through the unit’s electrical outlets.

Stadler said there were eight units in the apartment building, but the damage was contained to the first-floor units.

The second fire occurred at about 6:19 p.m. in a laundry room washing machine at 1612 Suncrest Drive. Stadler said when washing machines are overloaded it can cause the motor to overheat and smoke.

Fire departments from Mount Morris, Flushing, Swartz Creek and Mundy Township already were on the scene of the first fire and were sent to the scene of the laundry room fire with a Flint Township officer.

No injuries were reported.