DAVISON — Superintendent Kevin Brown of Davison Community Schools sent out an email to parents in the district last week providing an update on the district’s efforts with the $71,390,000 passed by voters last year.
So far, work has focused on Cardinal Stadium, the district’s elementary buildings and the new Colonial Inn and Suites building where the district will have offices and its bus lot.
Brown said the district is moving toward the start of the centerpiece of the district’s bond upgrades – construction of a new auditorium at Davison High School.
“Even though we’ve been in the midst of a pandemic for over a year now, we’ve gotten quite a bit of work done on our 2020 bond,” said Brown in the letter sent to parents April 21. “In the past year we have addressed a number of our critical needs.”
Brown said those projects addressed so far include:
• Installing new roofs at three of buildings: Siple, Davison Alternative Education and Davison High School Gymnasium.
• Completed mechanical work at Davison High School, Davison Alternative Education, Davison Middle School and Hahn Intermediate.
• Completed asbestos abatement at Davison High School
• Completed a much-needed restroom addition at Cardinal Stadium
He said work crews have also been working to renovate the old Colonial Inn and Suites building the district purchased on Lapeer Road to house maintenance, food service, transportation and Davison Community Enrichment and Recreation (DCER) offices, which will now be called Cardinal Station.
“We are transforming the surrounding property into our new bus lot,” said Brown. “We expect to complete this project this spring.”
He said the district is also very close to having its new turf field at Cardinal stadium completed and expect that to be done by the end of May.
This spring and summer we will be:
• Completing the work at Cardinal Stadium and installing a new track around the new turf field
• Moving the bus lot to the new “Cardinal Station”
• Installing new boilers at Davison High School, Davison Alternative Education, Davison Middle School and Hahn Intermediate
• Installing a new chiller at the high school
• Adding a two-classroom addition to Thomson Elementary
• Replacing the bleachers in the high school gymnasium
• Breaking ground for the construction of a new auditorium and surrounding spaces, new band and choir rooms, dressing rooms, set shop, green rooms and a new DTV studio at Davison High School
“As you can see, we have been very busy and we’ve gotten a lot of work done despite COVID-19,” said Brown in the letter. “All of this is so very exciting for our district and community.” — G.G.